I have debated for almost a week about whether or not to write this post. The more I have thought about it I don't want to forget any of the details, and I hope that this will remind all of the moms out there how quick accidents can happen. Well, it happened-- our first trip to the emergency room with Abby. Last Tuesday we were getting ready for a play date with some friends. I put Abby in her room for a minute or two so that I could get myself and Charlie dressed. I noticed that it was really quiet in her room- too quiet. Something told me to go in there and check on her. I walked in to find her chugging a bottle of cough syrup. I grabbed the bottle and realized that it was completely empty except for the 3 tsp that were left in the little "shot" glass. I called poison control and they determined that with her age, weight, and what was left in the bottle (only 2oz to start with) that the amount she ingested was considered toxic, and we had to go the emergency room. I was totally calm and collected until they told me that if she began to hallucinate, or stopped breathing on our car ride to er I had to pull over and call 911. I ran every red light and stop sign from our house to Baptist Hospital. By the time we got there she was bouncing off the walls; talking fast, jumping around, had to potty, didn't have to potty, etc. They quickly put her in a room, and that's where we played the waiting game. Nurse Wendy (Abby adored) strapped her to a board and straight jacket, put an IV line in, and drew 2 vials of blood. The crazy part, Abby never cried, fussed, or flinched while they were taking her blood. For that matter, she never fussed through the whole ordeal. She was so calm! We sat there for 5 hours waiting for a reaction to occur. Luckily, she was just very sedated, and very mellow. Once the doctor reassured us that everything was going to be fine we just had to wait it out. She was so funny- talking really slow and soft. She would start a sentence and by the time she could finish it she would just trail off and stop talking. She would sing songs and stare at you with this blank stare. Her pupils were the size of saucers, and would wobble around if she had to get up to go potty. Finally around 2:00 pm we were allowed to go home. Even at home she was still sedated from the medicine, but we knew she was going to be just fine. Lesson learned...hide the cough medicine!!!

Just after her IV line was put in
If you look close you can still see some purple cough syrup on her face!
This is when she started moving her leg up and down and signing it to the tune of "Wheels on the Bus."
She looks so sweet here
Nurse Wendy was fantastic!
After some food and a few more wagon rides Abby was cleared to go!
In case you were wondering- all medicines have been put up--way up!
No comments:
Post a Comment